October Brain Teasers
This site is owned and created by Kevin Hobbs
Brain Teasers: A brain teaser is a form of puzzle that requires thought to solve. It often requires thinking in unconventional ways with given constraints in mind; sometimes it also involves lateral thinking. Logic puzzles and riddles are specific types of brain teasers.
Today's can be found below....
Back To Daily Brain Teasers
The Daily Teaser Via E-mail For Free
What Is It?
1. There are four colored balls in a hat: two red, one black and one blue. After pulling out two of them, you know that one of them is red, but you do not know which one. What is the probability that both balls are red?
2. While walking across a bridge I saw a boat full of
people. Yet on the boat there wasn't a single person. Why?
1. They come at night without being called and are lost in the
day without being stolen. What are they?
2. It is weightless, you can see it and if you put it in a barrel it will make the barrel
lighter? What is it?
3. What object has keys that open no locks, space but no room,
and you can enter but not go in?
1. When asked how old she was, Suzie replied, "In two years I will be twice as old as I was five years
ago." How old is she?
2. Daniel, my son, is exactly one fifth of my age. In 21 years time, I will be exactly twice his age. My wife is exactly seven times older than my daughter, Jessica. In 8 years time, my wife will be three times older than Jessica. How old is Daniel now?
I am eight letters long - "12345678"
My 1234 is an atmospheric condition.
My 34567 supports a plant.
My 4567 is to appropriate.
My 45 is a friendly thank-you.
My 678 is a man's name.
Q: What word am I?
David is throwing Robert a surprise birthday party but he has to stay within his budget. He spent half of his money plus $2.00 on the cake. Half of what he had left plus $2.00 was spent on balloons and streamers. Then he spent half of what he had left plus $1.00 on candy. Now he is out of money, how much did he start with?
The following was originally a list of five letter words, but in each case two consecutive letters (though never the first two) have been removed. The 26 missing letters are all different. What was the original list?
A N T
A S S
B A Y
C O Y
D I M
E E L
F A R
M A R
P I E
S E E
T I E
T O P
W I N
Suppose you're in a hallway lined with 100 closed lockers. You begin by opening every locker. Then you close every second locker. Then you go to every third locker and open it (if it's closed) or close it (if it's open). (Let's call this action toggling a locker.) Continue toggling every nth locker on pass number n. After 100 passes, where you toggle only locker #100, how many lockers are open?
1. How would you rearrange the letters in the words new door to make one word?
2. Can not be bought, can not be sold, even if it's made of gold. What is it?
3. If you multiply all the numbers on the telephone, what is the answer?
1. Josh is writing a book. He starts on page 1. When he finished, he used a total of 228 digits. How many pages does he have?
2. At Probability University, there are 375 freshmen, 293 sophomores, 187 juniors, & 126 seniors. One student will randomly be chosen to receive an award. What percent chance is there that it will be a junior? Round to the nearest whole percent.
Can you find a five digit number which has no zeros nor ones in it and no digit is repeated, where the following is
The fourth digit is a quarter of the total of all of the digits.
The second digit is twice the first digit.
The third digit is the largest.
The last digit is the sum of the first two digits.
1. We capture light, and yet we don't.
We reflect rays of sun, and yet we don't.
Without us all the world is gray and dull for everyone.
What are we?
2. There once was a race horse That won great fame. What-do-you-think Was the horse's name.
1. When asked how old she was, Suzie replied,
"In two years I will be twice as old as I was five years ago." How old is she?
2. If nine thousand, nine hundred nine dollars is written as
$9,909, how should twelve thousand, twelve hundred twelve dollars
BONUS TRIVIA QUIZ
Here's a quiz to test your knowledge of TV theme songs.
1. "Making your way in the world today takes everything
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot... Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came..."
2. "We're a movin' on up, (We're a movin on up.) To the east side.
(Mo-vin on up.) To a de-luxe apartment, In the sky-. Mo-vin' on up (Mo-vin on up.) To the east side,
(Mo-vin on up.) We finally got a piece of the pie.
3. Come and knock on our door, we've been waiting for you, where the kisses are hers and hers and his... Come and dance on our floor, take a step that is new, we've a loveable space that needs your face... You'll see that life is a ball again and laughter is
callin' for you"
4. "What would we do baby, without us?...What would we do baby, without us?... And there ain't no nothing we can't love each other through... What would we do baby, without us? Sha la la la..."
5. Believe or not I'm walking on air, I never thought I could feel so free-. Flying away on a wing and a prayer. Who could it be? Believe it or not it's just me..."
6. "Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some. A man is born, he's a man of means. Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans..."
7. Show me that smile again. Don't waste another minute on your cryin'...We're nowhere near the end. The best is ready to begin.
Oooohhh. As long as we got each other , We got the world spinnin' right in our hands..."
8. Love, exciting and new, Come aboard. We're expecting you! Love, life's sweetest reward. Let it flow, it floats back to you...Set a course for adventure, your mind on a new romance. Love won't hurt anymore, It's an open smile on a friendly shore..."
9. Just two good old boys, Never meaning no harm. Beats all you ever you saw, Been in trouble with the law Since the day they were born.
1. David and Mike are brothers. David is 33 years old today. This is three times as old as Mike was when David was the age that Mike is
today. How old is Mike?
2. Dead on the field lie ten soldiers in white, felled by three eyes, black as
night. What's going on here?
Four couples are going to the movies to see a Horror movie for Halloween. Each row holds eight seats. Betty and Jim don't want to sit next to Alice and Tom, and Alice and Tom don't want to sit next to Gertrude and Bill. On the other hand, Sally and Bob don't want to sit next to Betty and Jim. How can the couples arrange themselves so that they all sit where they would like?
1. There are many different world records out there held by many extraordinary people. Like the worlds fastest baked bean eater or the worlds tallest woman. There is a record however that we have ALL held at one point. What is
2. Assign every letter of the alphabet its numerical value: A=1, B=2, C=3, and so on, up to z=26. Can you think of a familiar 7 letter word whose letter values total only 21?
HINT: It's edible.
1. Brad Doe works for a packaging company. One day, he received four separate orders and accidentally mixed up the addresses, so he applied the address labels at random. What is the probability that exactly three packages were correctly labeled?
If you cross out all unnecessary letters in the above string of letters, a logical sentence will remain. Can you read it?
One hundred business people gather at a meeting. 85 of them carry a cellular phone, 80 of them have a beeper, 75 of them speak at least two languages and 70 of them wear a suit. Therefore, a certain number of them have all of the above: a cell phone AND a beeper AND speak at least two languages AND wear a suit. Out of these 100 businesspeople, what is the least possible number who have all of the above?
1. Which would you rather have, an old hundred dollar bill or a new
2. Picture an empty, clear wine bottle with a cork secured at the top in the usual way. Inside the bottle a metal ring hangs suspended by a string. How is it possible to make the metal ring drop to the bottom of the bottle without touching the ring, the thread, the cork or the
1. How many dollars would you have left if you started with $20.00 and took 30lbs worth of candy corn which costs 13 cents a pound?
2. Below are 3 anagrams of holidays. Can you figure them out?
a. Charm sits
b. Art see
c. Ale hen low
1. That attorney is my brother, testified the accountant.
But the attorney testified he didn't have a brother.
Who is lying?
2. How many 5-digit numbers are there that do not contain the numbers 3 and 5, and are multiples of 4? (It cannot start with 0,
ie. 01234 is not a 5 digit number)
The local library decided to hand out some of its old books to its 1400 borrowers. To each of the female borrowers they gave 6 books and to each male borrower they gave 4 books. If only half of the females in town and three quarters of the males in town accepted the books how many books were given away?
1. A friend of mine's grandmother is younger than his father. How can this be possible?
2. He starts and ends 2 common English words. One painful in love, One painful in everyday matter. Do you know what 2 words I must be?
3. When can you add two to eleven and get one?
A boy was in detention from talking too much when the teacher was talking. The detention teacher said, "You have to produce a 1000 word essay in 30
The boy actually did it. How?
Note: he did not just write "A 1000 word essay" on his paper. You'll have to be a little more clever than that.
What number should appear in
the last orange spot?
As you are reading this message, you will notice some spelling errors. Do not be
frigtened, however. This is how you must anelyze:
First, find al of the missing, repeated, or incorrect letters.
Second, alow yurself to look at these and look at the wword that is
Finally, tell me a numbur that most commonnly is associated with the word.
Swap one word from Group A with one word in Group B such that the two groups have a similar, though different, property. Which two words must be swapped and what is the
A: hallow, car, eight, cart
B: cant, harp, mar, ball
Both Halloween Cryptogram puzzles use the same code.
"UTDA L TLZZIUDDA TLEAQDP TIEYD VY YQSVXVAFZO DDSVD, CDICZD NIEZP YLO VQ'Y
"BIS TLZZIUDDA, V UIAPDS VB CLSDAQY QTVAX IB YDAPVAF QTDVS NIZZDFD XVPY YNLSD
The kids on Abracadabra Street counted all of their Halloween candy. They had 18 pieces of candy in all.
Abby had fewer than 4 pieces of candy.
Billy had twice as much as Abby.
Charlie had twice as much as Billy.
David had 2 pieces more than Abby.
How many pieces of candy did each kid have?
It was Halloween night. An evil goblin kidnapped some children who were out trick-or-treating and gave them the option of how they would die. They could either have their brains eaten by worms, be buried alive in a mass grave or tossed into a pit of poisonous snakes. If any of them survived, they would then be set free. One especially bright child thought of the choice that saved them all. Which one would you choose and why?
Halloween was almost over, and Mr. Green had less than 20 candies left. When the doorbell rang, he thought he would give all the candies away. When he opened the door, there were two trick or
treaters. He wanted to give away the candies evenly, but he noticed that when he divided the candies in two, there was one left over. At that point, he saw another trick or treater behind the first two. He tried to divide the candies evenly among the three of them, but again one was left over. Finally, another trick or treater came to his door, making it four trick or treaters altogether. Mr. Green still had one candy left over after dividing the left over candies in fours. How many candies did Mr. Green have left when the doorbell rang?
I can contort into many fantastic shapes, and
can form one thing even after being run through a grate.
I can appear in many different guises, and
Am to be won among Halloween prizes.
WHAT AM I?
Puzzle Books | Puzzle Magazines | Brain Teaser Games | Kindle Fun | Amazon and Your Done | Amazon Prime Free Trial | Free Kindle Reading App | Video Games | Family Night | Audible Books Free Trial | For Moms | I Love Food