January Brain Teasers
This site is owned and created by Kevin Hobbs
Brain Teasers: A brain teaser is a form of puzzle that requires thought to solve. It often requires thinking in unconventional ways with given constraints in mind; sometimes it also involves lateral thinking. Logic puzzles and riddles are specific types of brain teasers.
Today's can be found below....
Back To Daily Brain Teasers
The Daily Teaser Via E-mail For Free
1. Everyone knows that both Christmas Day and New Year's Day always fall on the same day of the week. However, in 1939, the year of the outbreak of World War II, Christmas fell on a Monday and New Year's fell on a Sunday. Why?
2. My quiz for this today, is most unusual. As is this paragraph. What is so unusual about it? If you look hard, you should find what it is without too much difficulty. Try hard to spot it. How long did you think about it?
1. X is less than Y; Y is not equal to Z. Therefore the statement that: X is not equal to Z, is: a) correct b) incorrect c) undetermined
2. What would be the next number in this series?
144 ... 121 ... 100 ... 81 ... 64 ... ??
3. If you had a piece of paper that was 0.001 inch thick, how tall a pile would it make if it was doubled fifty times?
Why is the letter D like a hoop of gold?
Why is the letter F like a cow's tail?
Why is the letter T like Easter?
Which two letters are definitely not hard?
1. There are three houses in a straight row. One is red, one is blue, and one is white. The red house is left of the middle. The blue house is right of the middle. Where's the white house?
2. In olden days, the student of logic was given this problem: If half of 5 were 3, what would one-third of l0
3. A boy leaves his house one summer day, and began to run into the woods to his grandmother's house which is on the other side of the woods. It should also be known that the boy reached his grandmother's house. How far did the boy run into the woods?
Glenn and Jason each have a collection of cricket balls. Glenn said that if Jason would give him 4 of his balls they would have an equal number; but, if Glenn would give Jason 4 of his balls, Jason would have 3 times as many balls as Glenn. How many balls does Jason have?
1. What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common?
2. Not born, but from a Mother's body drawn, I hang until half
of me is gone. I sleep in a cave until I grow old, then valued for my hardened
gold. What am I?
3. Monique is 24 years old. She is twice the age that Valerie had when Monique was the same age that Valerie is
now. How old is Valerie?
A Set Of Random Brain Teasers
1. Can someone marry his brother's wife mother-in-law?
2. Place the nine digits, so that the sum of the odd digits may be equal to the sum of the even ones.
3. Add the figure 2 to 191 and make the answer less than 20.
4. If five times four are thirty-three, what will the fourth of twenty be?
A total of 15 delegates from Africa, Asia, America, and Europe meet at an international conference.
Each continent sends a different number of delegates, and each is represented by at least 1 delegate.
America and Asia send a total of 6 delegates.
Asia and Europe send a total of 7 delegates.
Which continent has sent 4 delegates?
Which one of the designs
is least like the other four?
Somehow or other I got talked into buying something on the installment plan. I'm not sure I got a good deal. The payments to date, according to my checkbook, have reached $96. The second year cost $2.00 more than the first year; the third year cost $3.00 more than the second; and the fourth year cost me $4.00 more than the third. What were my payments the first year?
1. What is the four-digit number in which the first digit is one third the second, the third is the sum of the first and second, and the last is three times the second?
2. Using only two 2's and any combination of mathematical signs, symbols and functions can you make 5?
3. If today, is today, today. What will tomorrow be yesterday?
Let's Talk About Words...
1. There are many English words to which you can add one s to make plural nouns. There are very few that become singular again if you add another s. Can you name two?
2. Four of the words below have one significant feature in common which distinguishes them from the fifth word. Which is the odd man out?
REACT, TRACE, CATER, SCARE, CARTE
3. There is a common English word that is nine letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains an English word - from nine letters right down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing one letter at a time?
A man bumps into his mathematician friend on the street that he hasn't seen in 5 years. The man asks the mathematician how old his children are. The mathematician, who always replies in riddles said, "I now have three children. The sum of their ages is equal to the number of windows on the building in front of you and the product of their ages equals 36." The friend then says "I need one more piece of information." The mathematician then replies "My youngest child has blue eyes." What are the ages of the mathematicians three children?
Two For Today
1. Joe said to his friend at a New Year's Eve Party, "Yesterday I was twenty, but next year I will be twenty-two." When is Joe's birthday?
2. What is the next number in this series;
18, 46, 94, 63, 52, ?
In this type of verse, "first" and "second" and so on refer to the individual letters of a word. Find the correct letter for each definition or explanation, and complete the word.
My first is in sugar but not in tea
My second in swim but not in sea
My third in apple and also pear
My fourth in ring and also hare
My last in ten but not in herd
My whole a very complimentary word.
1. A woman gave birth to two boys on the same date, within about twenty minutes of each other, and yet they were not twins. How could this be?
2. If 8-22-5-22-13 equates to seven, and 7-4-12 makes two, how would you write ten?
3. Which one of the following five is least like the other four?
Celery - Lettuce - Onion - Tomato - Asparagus
1. Johnny, despite his mother's objections, spent his whole allowance of $2.16 ($2.00, with 16 cents left from last week) on bubble gum. If the pieces of gum had been a penny cheaper, he would have received three more pieces than he did. How many did he actually buy?
2. At my favorite fruit stand,
an orange costs 18 cents
a pineapple costs 27 cents
and a grape costs 15 cents
Using the same logic, can you tell how much a mango costs?
Very few people bother to determine what an amazing potential for overpopulation they have. Let us consider yours. If you and your wife have a meager two children, it would seem you are not adding much to the world. But let's suppose that in 5 years each of your children has two children. In another 25 years, each grandchild has two kids. In another 25 years, each great-grandchild has two offspring-and so on for a thousand years. How many descendants would you have?
DO YOU KNOW???
1. Can any creatures besides humans get a sunburn?
2. Do birds sing only in trees?
3. What is a nutria?
4. Do Siamese fighting fish fight?
5. Do fish sleep?
Peter is playing around with a two-plate scale and finds that the scale stays in equilibrium if one plate is filled with two keys, two coins and three toy soldiers OR one apple, one toy soldier and one lemon, and the other plate with a weight of 100 grams. One coin, one key, one soldier and one plum together weigh 50 grams. The lemon, the apple and the plum weigh exactly the same as one coin, one key, one soldier and one pen. How much does the pen weigh?
1. What kind of water never freezes?
2. What kind of rocks are on the bottom of the Mississippi River?
3. What kind of coat can be put on only when wet?
4. If a rooster laid a brown egg and a white egg, what kind
of chicks would hatch?
1. Inside the drawer of a dressing-table in a dark room, there are 28 black socks and 28 brown socks. What is the minimum number of socks that I must take out of the drawer to guarantee that I have a matching pair?
2. Timothy and Urban compete in a car rally, going several times around a closed circuit. Timothy can drive the circuit in 25 minutes, but Urban takes 30 minutes. If the two drivers start at the same time, how long will it take Timothy to lap Urban?
ALL ABOUT NUMBERS
1. Find a five-digit number in which the last number is the sum of the first, second, and third; the third is four less than the last; the fourth is two less than the last; and the first and fourth added are one less than the last. The last number is also three times the second.
2. What is the smallest integer that can be expressed as the sum of two squares in three different ways? The answer is less than 500.
A Couple Of Logic Teasers
1. There is a town in Texas where 5% of all the people living there have unlisted phone numbers. If you selected 100 names at random from the town's phone directory, on average, how many of these people would have unlisted phone numbers?
2. One morning a man is leaving on business trip and finds he left some paperwork at his office. He runs into his office to get it and the night watchman stops him and says, "Sir, don't get on the plane. I had a dream last night that the plane would crash and everyone would die!" The man takes his word and cancels his trip. Sure enough the plane crashes and everyone dies. The next morning the man gives the watchman a $1,000 reward for saving his life and then fires him. Why did he fire the watchman that saved his life?
One Word Answers
1. When young, I am sweet in the sun.
When middle-aged, I make you gay.
When old, I am valued more than ever.
What am I?
2. Which word that begins with the letter I, and by adding the letter A, becomes another word that is pronounced the same?
The old lady who lived in a shoe was having some real trouble buying Christmas presents for her enormous family. Although she bought the least expensive stocking stuffers she could find, the bill was high. Of course, both a 15 percent sales tax and a 5 percent luxury tax were added to the original price. She paid a total of $100. What was the cost of the stuffers before taxes?
A certain day was yesterday when the day before yesterday was yesterday . On that certain day Kim's parents said "we'll go on a picnic the day after tomorrow if it doesn't rain". It rained the day before yesterday but not
Did the family go on the picnic?
In the Art Gallery is a new conceptual art piece. The artist created a huge pile different paintings; periodically he picks up one of the paintings and hangs it on the wall, and adjusts it.
At 11:00, the painting titled "Number 30" was hung.
At 4:00, the painting titled "Number 240" was hung.
At 7:30, the painting titled "Number 315" was hung.
What painting will the artist hang on the wall at 9:20?
All In The Family
1. In the Smith family, each daughter has the same number of brothers as she has sisters. Each son has twice as many sisters as he has brothers. How many sons and daughters are in the family?
2. A pregnant woman is preparing to name her seventh child.
Her children's names so far are Dominique, Regis, Michelle, Fawn, Sophie and
Lara. What will she name her next child -- Jessica, Katie, Abby or
3. A girl has as many sisters as she has brothers. But each brothers has twice as many sisters as brothers. How many brothers and sisters in the family?
2 For Fun...
1. How can a woman in New York, without getting a divorce or becoming a widow, or otherwise legally separated, legally marry 10 men?
2. Hi! Ma and Pa told me I'd better say that all the two-letter words in this paragraph have something in common ...... or else! What's the common factor here?
Tom went to town with $50, but returned at night with $150. He bought a hat at a clothing store and some apples at the
market, then he had his eyes tested.
Here are a few facts:
Tom gets paid every Thursday by check.
The banks are only open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
The eye doctor is closed on Saturday.
The market stays closed on Thursday and Friday.
On what day did the man go to town?
Puzzle Books | Puzzle Magazines | Brain Teaser Games | Kindle Fun | Amazon and Your Done | Amazon Prime Free Trial | Free Kindle Reading App | Video Games | Family Night | Audible Books Free Trial | For Moms | I Love Food